Nowadays, we easily get a lot of promos, sale, shopping online, Black Friday and all sorts of offs and discounts as we know it. Shopping is a thing that we women enjoy a lot and I too! During my single years, I earn my own money, I have a good work, in a big city of Manila. I was also a prompt shopper, I tend to enjoy typical stuff for women like bags, makeups, dresses and name it- but marriage, parenting and my Christian life has turned everything around. Shopping is where your way of being a good steward will be tested. I developed wisdom over shopping being an independent woman, breadwinner and a young professional. I have grown out my discipline, but it was a day to day practice and by the help of so many influences, by the books I read, the people I follow: The Minimalist, I am happy to share with you all a podcast from them, after reading my blog you guys can listen to them and their point about spending money and truly getting the real meaning of happiness in a less materialist living.
Okay, I know we are not at the point telling you what to do to your hard earned money, but at least searching your heart and letting you realised what really matters can be a good way of freeing yourself to a bad habit of spending. Maybe you have a good job that pays well, maybe you are born rich among the riches. I am not the one responsible for your actions and if you would take my advice on spending wisely, that is for your own benefit. I am here only to share what I have learned through the years. Sharing my sources on developing new habits, breaking bad habits and discover what more better can I do is a wonderful experience to share with all of you.
At the end of the day, it all lies with you.
After being exposed to so many financial problems being the breadwinner during my younger days, I have learned so much lesson not only these guys above the video. I also like so many encouraging influencers like The Purpose Fairy, PRSUIT and listening to so many random TED Talks tackling about happiness and living life to the fullest made me realised so many things.
These are my top 5 points Why Is Wisdom With shopping Is A Must? :
- Discipline: You are to develop a good habit of discipline.Looking at what do you need and not: This year, -January sales have passed. My husband and I checked our wardrobe, looking at our clothes and what are missing out this season. Jeans, shirts, socks etcetera. We are totally fine. We did not buy anything at all. I have received a birthday gift card to Uniqlo and that is the one I spent for our trip to France. Boots, I have received two: North Face and UGG which are both can still be worn this season. We have received tons of clothes for Laia and we did not buy her but only leggings and winter boots in Decathlon. Next year, we will be looking at Tale Me and Happinest for second-hand clothes for kids up to the age of 12 years old. There are so many ways. Budget wise, which is the next point. We did not do any Black Friday either. Check what you really need and what are your priorities are before buying anything. When window shopping, stick on your list. I went out last week in need of pantyhose and I went home with my pantyhose and some egg bunny for Laia. I went home with 9 euros spent. Do the same with your grocery. Stick on your list. You will be seeing the effect of this discipline directly in your wallet/bank account. I buy my makeups from a friend that I trust with hygiene and a makeup collector, second hand and 70 percent OFF with more giveaways. Look for some the same opportunity around your circle of friends.
- Budgeting: You are to see the value of money and the usage of it for so many more useful things in life. You will be amazed by so many many benefits to you and to your family. Good cash flow every month. Being able to save for the future. Spending to what is your priority.
- Stewardship: All the things we have including our finances are from our great resource, the Lord God. The bible says: Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”- Matthew 19:21 “Of this church, I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,”-Colossians 1:25
I order for us to become a good steward of the Lord, we have to be a good minister on what has been bestowed on us. And this is a reflection of our living with the word of God. So many claimed Christians are being astray from this. We have to understand that the church is the whole quantity of the living and not that God has made, so we better be in His word so that our hearts will be guarded. There are so many tests, it will arrive in your life another way for the Lord to see your deepest intentions. But men, shouldn’t be only be reminded when there is a failure to temptation. As Christians, we should all be guarded. How? By remaining in Him, how can we remain in Him, by being with the word of the Lord?
4. Investment: You open opportunity of investing to some other money making platforms like the stock market, shares and profits. You don’t have to put all your eggs in one basket. Grow your pension plan and budget. This will definitely help you in your retirement, it is never to early to save for the future when kids are not anymore around and you as a couple were left. In so many cases, this is a good way to prepare and be ready for anything.
5. Gift of giving: Donate, clothes, things that are still working well that you don’t need, participate in brocantes, as we call them second-hand thrift shops around, during spring and summer. And imagine the worth of you can donate as you are practising the gift of giving. I don’t mind decluttering my house and making my home more zen. According to this Japanese minimalist, there are so many benefits of having only the things you need:
Find your balance, it is not to say that you will become exactly the same as this man. But at least identifying what is needed and not is already a step towards your goal; to shop wisely. YES!
The point is, you control yourself, you develop your new skills, you see results of a good way of living life to the fullest with balance. You decide and you see the importance of all of the above information. Self-check and you will be amazed who can you become after. No one but a better person!
I’m a Mom, a wife, and a home-builder, key-note speaker. I write about personal development for women, motivational articles out from my daily experiences, from the past and today. I believe in life simplicity, friendship, and love. I have decided how to be happy every day through writing, there are so many values I have learned and still is learning. Sharing is caring, so if you would find my articles helpful-spread the love!